The Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Punta Cana is removing all liquor dispensers in guestroom minibars after a string of suspicious deaths and illnesses in the past year at the Dominican Republic resort, hotel management said.
The hotel is also hiring a US healthcare company to “ensure the on-site health clinic is complying with all international and US standards,” Hard Rock said in a Friday statement to The Post.
All food and beverages will also be tested by a U.S. lab.
The new measures come after reports of two tourists dying at the Hard Rock in Punta Cana in the past year, among nine total deaths and a spate of illnesses in the Carribean nation.
At least 45 tourists have reported becoming ill at the Hard Rock.
Authorities are eyeing whether they were poisoned by bootleg liquor, sources told The Post.
In April, Robert Wallace, 67, of California, became sick and died almost immediately after drinking scotch from the Hard Rock room minibar, which is equipped with liquor dispensers.
David Harrison, 45, of Maryland, was discovered dead at the Hard Rock in June by his wife, who said “something green” was foaming from his mouth. His death was recorded as a heart attack, but his family raised suspicions after other tourists were reported dead under similarly strange circumstances.
“We are deeply saddened by these unfortunate incidents, and extend our sincerest sympathy to the families of those affected,” Hard Rock said in the Friday statement. “Although the official reports state these incidents are unrelated, Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana has taken steps, based on guest feedback, to improve the experience and enhance safety moving forward.”
All rights and copyright belong to the author:
Source – https://nypost.com/2019/06/22/dominican-republics-hard-rock-hotel-to-remove-liquor-dispensers-after-tourist-deaths/