Men's Basketball Suffers Seven-Point Loss to Mount St. Mary's

Men's Basketball Suffers Seven-Point Loss to Mount St. Mary's

The Merrimack College men's basketball team lost its second Northeast Conference (NEC) game of the season to Mount St. Mary's on Monday afternoon. Jordan Minor led the way for the Warriors scoring 15 points and pulling down seven rebounds. Malik Edmead dropped a second best 12 points and also had a season-high nine rebounds. Mikey Watkins scored 11 points. Ziggy Reid earned his second double-double of the season after scoring 10 points and grabbing 13 rebounds in the defeat.

Game Result

Score: Merrimack 50, Mount St. Mary's 57
Records: Merrimack (8-10, 4-2 NEC) | Mount St. Mary's (6-10, 2-2 NEC)

Merrimack started the game on a four-point run that included two free throws by Reid and a high flying lay up by Edmead. The Mount countered with their first bucket of the game to go down two. The Warriors then jumped on an eight-point run to go up nine. Watkins knocked down a three that caused a Mount St. Mary's timeout. Out of the timeout, the Mount found the bottom of the net with a three to go down six. Minor answered with a thunderous slam to send the lead up two. Mount St.

Mary's answered with a three to go down five. Watkins and Jordan McKoy both found success with jumpers to increase the Warrior advantage to nine with just over 10 minutes to play in the first. Both teams started to trade baskets. A Minor layup gave Merrimack a nine-point lead with six minutes to go in the first. The Mount then scored 13 unanswered points to flip the game and go up by four. Two free throws by Minor ended the scoring drought for the Warriors. The Kingston, Mass native knocked down three free throws in the final minute of the first half to send the Merrimack into the locker rooms down just one.

The second half started with both teams trading baskets. The Mount came out on top, going up by three. Watkins had a hard cut to the hoop and scored a bucket to bring the Warriors within one. A Reid layup and Edmead jumper put Merrimack up by one briefly. Mount St. Mary's knocked down a free throw to tie the game at 40 with 12 minutes left.

A Minor layup put the Warriors back up by two. After a media timeout, the Mount answered with a layup of their own to tie the game back up. An Edmead jumper with nine minutes to play increased the Merrimack advantage to three. Mount St. Mary's then went on to score 10 unanswered points, giving them a seven-point lead. Watkins and Edmead stopped the run by knocking down jumpers on back-to-back possessions to go down by just three. Four-points by the Mount down the stretch ended the game for the Warriors.