The South American continent was supposed to be the best football competition last year. However, it was delayed by a year due to the global Covid-19 epidemic.
The tournament is scheduled to start on June 13 and will continue till July 10. There were 15 matches in Colombia, including the final, and 13 in Argentina, including the opening match. But the South American Football Federation (CONMEBOL) withdrew from the tournament last Thursday after anti-government protests erupted in Colombia.
Argentinian President Alberto Fernández introduced “a strict protocol so Copa America is held in this country” to Alejandro Domínguez, the head of South American football's governing body CONMEBOL, both parties said in a statement.
A source told Reuters that Conmebol officials visited two stadiums this week to see Argentina's preparations to become the sole organizer.
The proposal comes despite an outbreak of the coronavirus in Argentina over the past two weeks.
The World Health Organization estimates that the death toll from the coronavirus in Argentina is 74,480. The country has been in a severe lockdown since last Saturday. All kinds of sports, religious and social gatherings have been banned. Businesses that are not essential are also closed.
Neighboring Uruguay is also experiencing an increase in Covid-19 infections. Brazil, another neighboring country, has so far killed more than 4.5 million people, the second highest in the world after the United States.
Still, CONMEBOL is determined to host the world's oldest international tournament.